But according to Morris Plains Police Chief Scott Thompson, the impact will be minimized by a new route. The new route for this year will begin and end in Central Park, Morris Plains. Participants in the Share the Care 5K Run/Walk will run or walk on a USA Track & Field marked course through the streets of Morris Plains. Thompson said that certain roads will only be impacted at the start of the race and will be immediately reopened once the participants have cleared them. They include:
- Central Avenue, Sunset Road, Hawthorne Avenue, Carlyle Avenue, Homer Avenue and Stiles Avenue.
- Glenbrook Road (west of Mountain Way).
- Mountain Way (between Glenbrook Road and Granniss Avenue).
Thompson also said that some roads will be closed for the duration of the race and they included:
- Central Avenue (above Collins Road).
- Old Dover Road/Granniss Avenue (between Cottage and Mountain Way) – closed for eastbound traffic only; traffic will be permitted to move westbound.
“Officers and race personnel will be posted to direct and assist motorists and minimize their inconvenience,” Thompson said.
Following the 5K, there will be a Kids Fun Run for children ages 2-14. Refreshments, food, entertainment and t-shirts will be provided to all pre-registered participants. Children participating in the Fun Run will also receive a medal and the school with the most participants will be recognized.