.

Dryer Fire Causes Smoke Damage at Township Home

While it could not be confirmed in Wednesday night incident, township fire chief cited dryer lint build-up as No. 1 cause of dryer-related fires.

The Morris Township Fire Department responded to a Spring Brook Road heavy smoke incident Wednesday night, where a fire began in the dryer in the basement.

Fire crews arrived at approximately 9:30 p.m. with the last leaving shortly before 11 p.m. No one was reported injured. Damage occurred primarily in the basement due to smoke, but additional damage was reported in the first and second floor areas, said Morris Township Fire Chief Scott Lovenberg.

"A primary search was conducted and found a fire within the dryer in the basement," he said. "The fire was quickly extinguished by the fire department."

While Lovenberg could not confirm whether the fire had started because of dryer lint—everything was burned up, including the clothes in the dryer at the time of the incident—he said that remains the number one cause of fires originating in the dryer because the build up prevents ventilation exhaust from making its way outside.

"It's important that everyone cleans their dryer prior to each use," he said, noting the vent itself also should be cleaned out periodically. "Obviously lint gets into the vent. Unfortunately, that's the location most don't clean due to its difficulty."

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »