Despite a foggy, rainy morning, athletes set off Sunday on the second annual Superhero Half Marathon, centered around the Loantaka Brook Reservation and Ginty Park in Morris Township. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. Because of the Christopher Reeve/Superman connection, runners often add an element of fun by wearing superhero-style capes or even entire costumes.
Heather Gardiner, manager of Morristown Running Company, and her partner Chris Russo, both avid runners, realized several years ago that while there were plenty of races in the area, none were very long.
Seeing the need, the two joined forces and decided to organize a half marathon. Last year, the inaugural run raised close to $10,000 for the charity, with approximately 1,300 participants.
Here are this year's top-ten finishers.
1. Bryan Magnus, Maplewood, age 36 1:19:13.91
2. John Ploeg, Madison, age 26, 1:21:43.33
3. Brian Walsh, Mendham, age 36, 1:22:01.08
4. Alan Connell, Far Hills, age 40, 1:22:09.62
5. Wilson Perez, North Plainfield, age 51, 1:22:16.11
6. Shane Schwarz, Highland Lakes, age 27, 1:22:56.54
7. Philip Hume, Morristown, age 24, 1:23:01.68
8. Kevin Walsh, Morristown, age 33, 1:23:19.25
9.Ramon Bermo, South Plainfield, age 43, 1:23:50.68
10. Jake Bond, Highland Lakes, age 23, 1:23:57.71
Complete results can be found here.